Thursday, October 25, 2012

Interview of Leema Dhar (Author of Best-Selling novel "Till we meet again")


Leema Dhar (born 1993, Allahabad), 2nd year student of Humanities in Allahabad University; completed her ISC from St. Mary's Convent. She left her AIEEE for her creative passion. Her debut fiction, 'Till We Meet Again' is a National Bestseller. Her first anthology of Hindi poems was 'Kuch Lafz Naqab Mein' (2007), second in English 'For the Hundred Tomorrows' (2010). She was nominated consecutive second time for Hindustan Times Women Achiever Awards (2011 & 2012). This is her second fiction that's thrilling yet has a pinch of romance in it. She's currently working as a freelancer in numerous creative projects.

Besides enjoying creativity, her interest lies in psychology, an avid reader of romance and thriller. She loves singing, painting and travelling and along with becoming a writer, she wants to be one of the finest travelogues. Her greatest inspiration has been the Andaman Islands, giving her an inexplicable life, the darker hue of love. 




Read the Interview of Best-selling author Rochak Bhatnagar






                                                           Read an exclusive interview of Leema Dhar 


Q.1. Your first book "Till we meet again" is a Best-seller, So what do you expectation from your second Book "Mom and I love a terrorist: Can Love Happen with a man in Dark"? What is your reaction on the response on your second Book, till now?

A1. I never expected that the ‘Till We Meet Again’ being my debut fiction, would become a National Bestseller so soon. I’m glad that I've been able to create an impact on my readers, and they prefer platonic love over physical love or sex. When I started writing this novel, I’d one thing on my mind running on ‘Will today’s generation accept stories that are platonically romantic and have a pinch of haunting element in it?’ But now all my doubts have been cleared as I’m getting huge and overwhelming response not only for my first novel but my next fiction too- ‘Mom and I Love A Terrorist’. I knew that if my readers have liked my first fiction, they’ll surely enjoy the journey of my next fiction too. It’s kind of a serious fiction with a pinch of romance. It deals in issues of a terrorist and the society. I’m happy to get a wide response of people of India and other countries too appreciating the fiction that has the catchy title with it. The fan mails and communication have been great up-til now and the sale is picking up its peak. It’s been a journey worthwhile.


Q.2. Share your memorable moments while penning down the Book "Mom and I love a terrorist"

A2. Terrorism is the most burning topic in our society. Bankura, being our ancestral home, the Maoist attack and rebellion movements are flooding Midnapur to Bankura - Purulia. I visit Kolkata thrice a year. My staying there with my aunt (paternal sister, Ms. Reena Chakroborty, the public prosecutor of Bankura); I've seen lots happening in the region in the field of Maoism, even the Gyaneshwari blast haunted me over the months. It was totally subdued in my subconscious mind, and it suddenly took a turn when I visited Andaman Islands. The essence of my second fiction ‘Mom And I love A Terrorist’ is both literary and popular. So that it attracts readers of both classes. The first time I came up with the idea of jotting a story based on Terrorism, I was in Andaman. So the story is basically set up in the backdrop of this beautiful Islands. Andaman, by far has been a place that is close to my heart somehow. While I was busy traveling and sightseeing there I realized how much I was in love with the sea and the horizon, the seclusion of the island and the peaceful aura that it's surrounded with. My journey to the island has been the most memorable uptil now. I remember telling dad (who is also a best selling Bengali author, popularly known as 'Kaalpurush') ‘I feel I’ve been here before. As if I’ve known living in the seas and skies for long’ While the other tourists stayed away in fear, I had shaken hands with the tribal men ‘Jarawas’ and they smiled back for some unknown reason! Andaman has been the second inspiration (dad being my first) which will stay with me for a lifetime.

Q.3. You had a creative passion, from a young age, so who would you like to give credit for your success at an young age? Tell us some memorable incidents of your childhood?

A3. I’d started writing at the age of three, when I was too young, so undoubtedly the credit of making ‘ME’ who I AM today goes to my lovely parents, mom and dad. While I inherited the gene of becoming both a poet and an author from my dad, Samir, I’ve been blessed with the innocence and calm philosophies of mom, Mausami, Assistant Teacher in St Mary’s Convent, Allahabad. If I’m a name today, then they are the pillars on whom I stand! My universe revolves around both because they’ve been the ones who willingly acknowledged my decision of leaving engineering and entering into the creative world, when most people told me ‘This is a risky profession!’ They trusted me with my writings and have brought out a completely different ‘Leema’ today.  

I’d been a complete introvert when I was small. I recall an incident when few of our relatives came to my place, and I locked myself up in a room for three hours (in spite of mom begging me to come out) until they left. Then dad came up to me and said ‘If you want to become a writer, you should learn to interact with people. Because though a writer works in seclusion, they work towards the upliftment of the society. Your world is waiting for you', and that was the time when I realized its time I should take up what I wanted too and give it my best. I remember I never asked for any pocket money from my parents, because each month I spent at least a thousand for buying books that I love to read, so somewhere I knew I would be short of pocket money! However, the whole journey from my childhood to now has been close to my heat because I’ve seen my transformation as a poet to a fiction writer.


Q.4. You started off by writing poems, in both English and Hindi and then wrote two fictions in the same year. Would you like to concentrate on poetry in future?

A4. The sad demise of eminent and towering personality Sunil Gangopadhyay, in Bengali literature, came to me as a shock as I was so impressed by his poems (Poems for Neera), fictions, short stories, etc.; he started off as being a poet and then moved off to write fictions and more. My dad regularly discusses about his stories and writings.

And I must say that there’s no mankind without poetry. A change from a poet to a fiction writer has been a metamorphosis for me and later realized that due to my knack in poetry initially my prose in fiction has a lyrical flavour in it, the reason why the readers are fond of my fictions so much. There’s this benefit that an author, by his works, can create their own readers who  are a mix of both common men and literary class, but the essence of poetry is basically understood by critiques and people of high literary knowledge because a poet conveys various emotions at the same time. In fiction you’ve the scope of conveying your emotion and feelings in a broad way that appeals to the mass. Though, I would love to continue my love for poetry in future too.  


Q.5.. Do you have any plans to pen down a book in Bengali?
A.5.. At present I'm just concentrating on my English fictions as it has a vast readership as compared to any other languages and frankly the command that I have in English is enough for me to write flawlessly as far as my effort is concerned. My dad always asked me to focus on one particular language to enhance creativity. So, I can say at present Bengali is not my cup of tea. Though I've received several offers for the translation of my debut fiction in Bengali, I'm getting mails from my Bengali readers to get it translated in their language. So, in near future I'll surely decide for my works to be translated in Bengali, one of the sweetest languages in the world.

Q.6. Tell us something about your upcoming fictions?

A.6.. The third fiction that has already been finished is tentatively titled ‘THE GIRL WHO KISSED THE SNAKE’. It’s a wild revengeful story with added romance, where the readers would love and hate the protagonist at the same time. I’ve tried a completely different genre this time that shows both the soft and evil part of love and revenge. I hope this will get the same appreciation from the readers as my previous two fictions. The fourth fiction that I’m currently working on is a pure literary work (title yet to be decided) its deals in both practicality and fantasy.



Q.7. Your first fiction was published by Diamond Books and second one by General Press, so tell us your experience with your publishers?

A.7. I’d initially begun with a painful journey when I started getting rejections and rejections earlier this year. But all of a sudden my life took a 360-degree turn when I got seven proposals for my debut fiction ‘Till We Meet Again’ altogether. In the middle of May I was about to sign a contract with an esteemed publication house in Mumbai, but then I got a sudden call from the CEO of Diamond Books, Mr. Narendra Kumar Verma, who convinced me over the phone with  half an hour chats, and I ended up signing with his esteem publication without a second thought. He’s a great mentor for the budding authors. He gave me the platform to start my journey with ‘TILL WE MEET AGAIN,’ which is now history.

I had a memorable experience while working with General Press, for my second fiction ‘Mom and I love A Terrorist’ for which I got several offers. But CEO of General Press, Mr. Azeem Ahmad Khan, known as a great mentor for young authors, offered to publish my book within two months. His generosity and guidance have made me reach both the common people and the literary class.

So, I’m obliged that both Mr. N.K. Verma and Mr. Mr. Azeem Ahmad Khan have parented my creativity in their own way.

Q.8. You wrote two books in a short span, would you like to take writing as your core profession?

A.8. Undoubtedly, Yes! I’d finished my debut fiction at the end of last year and the second by the end of May this year. I’m in a full mood to create stories based on reality and imaginations and give my best to surprise my readers each time. In fact, I’ve taken up English Literature and Psychology as my subjects in graduation as both would provide vital for my works in the future. As an avid reader of contemporary fictions and some of the literary works by great writers, I would dedicate my complete being to be a writer.

                                                           
                                                           

Q.9. what is your passion apart from writing?

A.9. I love reading. As I mentioned above I’m an avid reader of books of different genres. I’m aspired to become one of the finest travelogues too and if possible a psychologist too!

Q.10. How has life changed after the success of your books? 
A.10.  Success is a broad term that's closely associated and is directly proportional to commitment, dedication and responsibility towards your readers who expect you to surprise them each time with your works. As a writer I think success will automatically arrive at your doorstep when you work sincerely. So, I'm just focusing on my fourth coming projects one by one and accepting few works of freelancing for writing columns. Though, I hardly sleep for four hours a day, I'm still enjoying each moment because this is all I've ever wanted to be. And over and above I'm grateful to God that he's been compassionate towards me that I'm still grounded and try to give my best with each of my fictions.

Q.11. How do you deal with your critics? 
A.11. I've never thought about the critics. So I never really had to deal with them. As a writer one should accept both the      positive and negative responses  A writer expresses his emotions through his books. And beyond that once the book is out I prepare myself to welcome any kind of feedback and keeping the significant words of critics in mind, I try to work better each time.

Q.12. Who is your Favorite book and author? 

A.12. I’ve grown up reading Ruskin Bond. ‘Friends in small places’ and ‘Angry River’ are my favourites and of course ‘THE NAMESAKE’ by Jhumpa Lahiri that’s been an inspiration for me with its wonderful narration. Currently, I’ve enjoyed reading the vampire ‘Twilight’ series by Stephanie Meyer and the erotic trilogy ‘Fifty shades of Grey’ by E.L. James.


Q.13. Any message that you like to give to the budding authors?

A.13. First, those keen to entering the creative field, should know that this is a 'big bad world'. It’s initially full of rejections and disapproval and if you lack faith in yourself and family support then one may even land up in depression. When I left engineering (AIEEE) to enter this field, many people then told me that I’m on the wrong way. However, God has been kind enough to prove them all wrong! A little bit of belief in self, dedication towards work and honesty in your dreams can make you reach heights. Once established, one must continue working if they plan to take it up as a core profession. Frankly, enough, I don’t remember sleeping more than three four hours a day after my two fictions were out in the market; establishment comes with responsibility, and I’m used to it now, so now I’m focusing on my writing and along with that my mainstream studies. Being a writer is being the voice of people. So one should work, not only for fame and money’ but for society and people and live each day with a world of thoughts and imaginations. Being a writer if not different, it's just observing differently. So, hold on to your breath and start off with the ride. Those keen to become an author, can reach heights if you trust yourself and convince your family for the support. You are sure to live up to expectations and live your dreams! Wish you good luck!



If You liked this interview, then please leave a comment for Leema 


8 comments:

  1. Its awesome and inspiring.We lack real role modelles now a days, today's youth can pursue Leema Dhar as their inspiring iconic feagure. My best wishes to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of d best among d interviews of debutant authors. Loved it also coz she's in her second book, she's turning one of my fantasies into fiction. All d best to her. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leema, I am yet to read your work but your journey itself is interesting and inspiring.I hope you always remember your father's words as quoted by you in your interview: "Because though a writer works in seclusion, they work towards the upliftment of the society".May your writing blossom with each passing day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leema,God has blessed you with an exceptional gift of a creative writer. I am sure you will make a huge impact not only in India but also in the whole world. I have read your interview and the novel too, Till We Meet Again which u had gifted on teacher s day. Let me tell you as you grow older and become more mature, your writing also will become more philosophic and mature. "The Titles of your books are interesting and catchy. We are proud of you. May God Bless you today and everyday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Publication House in Mumbai:- Indus Source publisher is becoming best book publisher in Mumbai, India it publish various book like Indian Culture Book, Health & Wellness, History Book, English Book.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message... You will get a reply